DescriptionFriends of the Mercy is a volunteer service that works within Mercy University Hospital (MUH). The volunteers are individuals who commit time and energy to the hospital and their role complements that of paid staff, but does not substitute for it.
It is recognised by the hospital that volunteers can play a very important role in helping to make the hospital experience better for patients, and their efforts contribute highly to the overall success of the hospital.
RoleThe list below is only a general guide of some of our volunteer activities and may be expanded as the service develops.
- Visiting patients within the hospital. This may include chatting, reading and / or listening to patients.
- Walking with patients.
- Meeting and greeting at Reception (assisting with wayfinding to various wards, clinics or departments).
RequirementsVolunteers are asked to:
- Be over the age of 18.
- Embody the MUH core values of respect, justice, compassion, excellence and team spirit.
- Be empathic towards those who are using the hospital services.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Be courteous, caring and professional in their interactions with patients and staff.
- Speak fluent English.
CommitmentThe minimum time commitment is 12 months for a minimum of 3 hours weekly.
We need volunteers each day Monday through Friday in the mornings or the afternoons. For example, you may be available on a Tuesday in the afternoons. You will be asked to advise us when you are available on our application form (see Next Steps section below).
We currently do not have a need for volunteers on the weekends.
Next StepsTo include:
- Application form. (please click here and print off form and complete)
- Informal interviews.
SupportsVolunteers will be provided with the following:
- Initial induction and training.
- Insurance cover.
- Support / advice / recognition.
Contact Volunteer CoordinatorIf you are interested in becoming a volunteer with the Friends of the Mercy and would like to know more, please ring or text our Volunteer Coordinator, Ms. Mary Barry-Murphy on 086-773 8206 and leave a brief message. Your call will be returned.