- The library is located on the first floor of the Centre of Nurse Education, Henry Street.
- Opening hours are 8am to 9pm, Monday to Friday.
- It is a quiet study space open to all MUH staff and students on placement.
- Accessible via staff ID card.
- Guest WiFi and Eduroam are available and study desks are equipped with sockets.
- The adjacent computer room has PCs with internet access.
- A small reading room is available for individual use and is suitable for webinars, interviews etc.
- Printing, photocopying and scanning are available.
Books covering medical, surgical, nursing and allied health subject areas are available. Particular emphasis is placed on the clinical areas in which the Mercy University Hospital specialises. Search the Library Catalogue to look for a book if you are logged into a PC connected to the MUH network.
Books can be borrowed from the library for one month. The initial loan period can be extended but will be recalled if another staff member requires the book.
These are various quality online information resources which are useful for those working in the health sector. Some are openly accessible resources and some are paid for resources which can be accessed from a PC within the Mercy University Hospital or off-site via an OpenAthens account.
BMJ Best Practice is a point of care tool that draws on the latest evidence-based research to offer step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
You can access BMJ Best Practice from anywhere in Ireland and you can set up the app on your mobile phone once you set up an account.
UpToDate is a clinical decision support resource which helps clinicians to make the right point-of-care decisions. A rigorous editorial process is used to synthesize the most recent medical information into trusted, evidence-based recommendations.
To use UpToDate outside of the Mercy University Hospital or on the mobile app, you need to register for an account on a MUH PC. Then you can download the app from Apple or Google Play stores and log in using the same registration details. You will need to verify your affiliation with MUH every 89 days to maintain your access outside of MUH. To do this, you simply need to log in to UpToDate through a MUH PC.
Clinical nurse experts from one of the UK’s leading centres of expertise have brought together all the latest clinical evidence nurses need to meet confidently the requirements of their demanding profession. The Manual includes over 350 evidence-based clinical procedures related to every aspect of care, from handwashing to cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
OTseeker is a database that contains abstracts of systematic reviews and randomised controlled trials relevant to occupational therapy. Trials have been critically appraised and rated to assist you to evaluate their validity and interpretability. These ratings will help you to judge the quality and usefulness of trials for informing clinical interventions. In one database, OTseeker provides you with fast and easy access to trials from a wide range of sources.
PEDro is the Physiotherapy Evidence Database and have informing physiotherapy practice for over 22 years. It is a free database of over 54,000 trials, reviews and guidelines evaluating physiotherapy interventions.
The Health Research Premium Collection provides access to the latest medical information essential for medical students and researchers. The collection offers a central access point to a variety of medical resources including databases and full text of journals.
Produced by the American Psychological Association, this database is the world's largest resource devoted to peer-reviewed literature in behavioral science and mental health.
PubMed is the most popular and comprehensive database for searching the biomedical literature. It provides access to over 25 million citations from medical, nursing, and life science journals. Full-text is available for many resources.
TRIP Database (Turning Research Into Practice) is an excellent resource for Evidence-Based Medicine. It allows users to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
This is a multidisciplinary database which provides publication and citation data for confident discovery, access and assessment.
The SAGE Journals medicine and health portfolio includes over 350 journals spanning cardiology, health management, medical law and ethics, mental health, neurology, nursing, public health, oncology, sports medicine, palliative medicine, pediatrics, pharmacology, psychology, and research methods.
BMJ Learning offers high-quality continuing medical education for doctors and other healthcare professionals. It features hundreds of accredited, peer-reviewed learning modules in text, video, and audio formats.
Off-site Access to Resources
OpenAthens allows you to access library online resources from outside of the MUH or on a mobile device. It is an authentication system used for accessing online paid for information resources with a single username and password.
- To access online resources external to MUH you should register with OpenAthens here A step by step guide for registration is available here and a video demonstration can be seen here
- You will receive an activation e-mail and will need to follow the steps outlined within to activate your OpenAthens account.
- Log onto your OpenAthens account here to access online resources outside of MUH network. Alternatively when you are asked to sign in on any of the library resources, you can choose OpenAthens and sign in from there.
Support for Literature Searching
The Library's role is to support evidenced based clinical practice and the learning, research and teaching needs of the staff of the Mercy University Hospital as well as students on placement. It attempts to do this by providing access to:
- an area and facilities conducive to study and research
- access to print and electronic information resources both locally and remotely
- instruction in library and information seeking skills
- support with literature searching