- an area and facilities conducive to study and research
- access to print and electronic information resources both locally and remotely
- instruction in library and information seeking skills
These are various quality online information resources which are useful for those working in the health sector. Some are openly accessible resources and some are paid for resources which can be accessed from a PC within the Mercy University Hospital or remotely via an OpenAthens account.
BMJ Best Practice
UpToDate is a clinical decision support resource which helps clinicians to make the right point-of-care decisions. A rigorous editorial process is used to synthesize the most recent medical information into trusted, evidence-based recommendations.
To use UpToDate outside of the Mercy University Hospital or on the mobile app, you need to register for an account on a MUH PC. Then you can download the app from Apple or Google Play stores and log in using the same registration details. You will need to reconfirm your affiliation with MUH every 89 days to maintain your access outside of MUH. To do this, you simply need to log in to UpToDate through a MUH PC.
BMJ Case Reports
Lenus: The Irish Health Repository
Sage Health Journals
The SAGE Journals medicine and health portfolio includes over 350 journals spanning cardiology, health management, medical law and ethics, mental health, neurology, nursing, public health, oncology, sports medicine, palliative medicine, pediatrics, pharmacology, psychology, and research methods.
Wiley Health & Medical Journals
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) Guidelines
Books: The Library has a growing collection of books, covering most medical, surgical, nursing and allied health subject areas. Particular emphasis is placed on the clinical areas in which the Mercy University Hospital specialises. Other subject areas covered include Philosophy, Ethics, Sociology, Economics, Law, History, Business and Management. Search the Library Catalogue to look for a book
Journals: The Library has a large collection of print journals. There are long runs of some of the core medical journals, such as the BMJ, the Lancet and the NEJM, going back to the seventies. The journals are shelved in alphabetical order according to title.
OpenAthens Access to Resources
OpenAthens allows you to access library online resources from outside of the MUH. It is an authentication system used for accessing online paid for information resources with a single username and password.
- To access online resources external to MUH you should register with OpenAthens here A step by step guide for registration is available here and a video demonstration can be seen here
- You will receive an activation e-mail and will need to follow the steps outlined within to activate your OpenAthens account.
- Log onto your OpenAthens account here to access online resources outside of MUH network. Alternatively when you are asked to sign in on any of the library resources, you can choose OpenAthens and sign in from there.